July 7, 2009

Winds of Change

The winds of change are blowing in Achiase.

The volunteer from America, Amy, has gone home.
Here is a farewell shot that we took with her the night before she left. She's the one sporting the Ghanaian mumu.
















This week it's Marina and I's turn to move on, and we're excited for the change. We're still waiting on word from our volunteer organization, but it seems that we'll be placed somewhere near Accra for our remaining few weeks in Ghana.

Most recently I've been teaching English at one of the local junior high schools. It's a public school so it's essentially free for students. I taught grades 7 and 8 and each class had about 60 students. Many of them speak little or no english, and they varied in age from 10 to 20 years old. Out of this teaching, I met one boy named Frederick who is 20 and is unable to read. He was pulled out of school for 6 years when his father died to help support his family. I have since been tutoring him individually and he has been making good progress. Here's a photo that Marina took of us working together on Sunday.
















It's also a time of new arrivals. Ducklings, kittens, and chicks abound. Here are some newcomers that live under the woodpile in our front yard.






























Yesterday our house was struck by lightning. It's the tallest structure in the area and has a metal roof. I saw a spark on the metal trim at the base of a column inside the dining hall where we were sitting. I immediately felt the charge in my body - particularly in my feet and head. I had a headache for about 20 minutes after the strike occurred. Has anyone else ever experienced this?

I'll update again once we've moved.

- Davis

3 comments:

  1. Mark was hit by lightning driving in his car once. No headache though. Perhaps, you're just overly sensitive!

    L

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should have immediately went out and bought a lottery ticket!! ;-)
    Julie

    ReplyDelete