June 3, 2009

A Lighter Side to the Weekend

The weekend wasn't all such a sombre affair. At our hotel in Cape Coast, we met a Canadian lady and her small boy, Om. We went with them to see the Kakum Rainforest, where you walk on suspension bridges way above the forest canopy. We had the good fortune to join a school group on the tour. Since some of the bridges were closed for repairs (gulp), we had to wait as each group went out and then returned, before the next group could begin.
















Supposedly there's lots of elephants and jaguars down below. The ladies insisted that they heard a jaguar roar, but I think it might have been Om. He later confided in me that he saw a lion named "Rawwr-Om" while we were out walking in the bush.
















Leaving the forest, we traveled to a crocodile pond to check out a few of these fellahs:
















Here's Om taunting one:
















Here's Marina's reflection, swimming with one:
















And here's a lizard, imitating one:
















Om's parents are filmmakers from Vancouver, and his father is in Ghana to make a film about HIV/Aids on contract. As often happens when you meet other travelers on the road, Marina and I's plans for the weekend took a sudden turn when Om's mom mentioned a surf beach and Ghana's only surf shop that were only a few hours by tro-tro from Cape Coast. Blessed with a future wife who is ever-accommodating to my obsession with surfing, I was on my way that very afternoon.

Busua beach is a beautiful spot.
















I'd tried renting a surfboard once near Accra. I found one board that was so cracked and water logged that I could have molded it into different shapes. I wasn't willing to be the poor sucker who loaded the last straw (or stringbean) on its back, so I took a pass. In Busua, there were a variety of boards to choose from, and many were in good shape.

I picked one out, and paddled out into lonely surf, enjoying these waves all to myself.
















Oh, except for the company of these naked dudes:
















We enjoyed our time in Busua so much that we extended the trip and stayed a couple of extra days. Our host family and friends from Achiase started calling, wondering if we were ever going to return. It was great to receive such a warm welcome when we eventually did.

-Davis

1 comment: